Friday, March 20, 2009

Learn Something New, March 2009 Edition

BlackBerry Server installations.

Judging by the hits I found on Google, it seems very, very common to encounter this error when starting the BlackBerry Manager software on a BlackBerry Server:

"Failed to open the default message store using the MAPI profile "BlackBerryManager". Please review the log for details. You will not be able to send messages from the BlackBerry Manager by email".

This seems common among new installations (like mine), and probably among installers that don't know anything about BlackBerry (like me).

I found countless responses on forums to people encountering this error. All of the responses were friendly and informative, and all of them explained that the BlackBerry service should run as a particular account, and that account needs specific user permissions (on the BlackBerry and Exchange servers), and also needs particular permissions in Exchange.

That's all nice, but even having configured everything properly, I still received the above error whenever I'd start BlackBerry Manager.

SOLUTION: If the BlackBerry Manager software is run by the BlackBerry admin account (normally BESadmin), there is no error.

I had logged in to the server as an administrator, and then tried to run the BB application. If I used the 'Run As...' option to start the BB program as the BB admin account, the program started fine. If instead I just ran it normally, as an account that was NOT the BB admin account, I did see the error.

Maybe this will help someone out there.

Have a nice weekend.

No comments: